At Goehring Dental, our skilled team is proud to offer services that are customized to your individual patient’s needs and goals. Dental implants are one such service that provides stability, security, functionality and confidence for patients that thought they had lost these qualities forever when they lost their teeth. Austin, TX residents considering dental implants often want to educate themselves on the risks and benefits of the procedure before they chose to undergo treatment. For this reason, our helpful staff created this blog to help educate our patients about dental implants and the important facts about them. This first offering covers the process, benefits and risks of dental implants.
Dental Implants 101
Dental implants are usually comprised of three main components; the fixture or root piece, the abutment and the crown or replacement tooth. These three pieces are installed in five simple stages:
1) Initial examination.
2) Installation of the fixture.
3) Attachment of the abutment.
4) Crafting of the replacement tooth.
5) Placing the crown.
What Are the Benefits?
Dental implants offer many great benefits for patients that want to fix their missing or damaged teeth. Here is a list of some of these wonderful benefits:
1) Dental implants are permanent and can retain their strength for a lifetime.
2) Dental implants can strengthen your jaw muscles and prevent jawbone deterioration.
3) Dental implants can fill out a “sunken” facial features and premature wrinkles around the mouth.
4) Dental implants can create better oral health by filling in gaps between teeth that collect bacteria, food particles and decay.
5) Dental implants allow you to regain your self-confidence because you can smile again.
6) Dental implants allow you to chew and speak normally once more.
What Are the Risks?
There are many benefits to dental implant treatment. However, because it is a surgery, it is not without risks. Though rare, here are some of the potential risks of dental implant surgery: infection, nerve damage, tissue damage, damage to blood vessels, gum tissue, surrounding teeth or the jaw, pain, soreness, sinus issues, implant failure, post-surgery pain, swelling, soreness and sensitivity.
Patients should be aware that most of the risks associated with dental implant surgery are rare. In most instances, dentists can prescribe medication to reduce symptoms, remedy or reduce most of the damage or problems caused by the above issues. Patients should be keep a close watch on the implant area during the healing process so that they can catch and fix complications early.
Come Experience The Benefits Of Dental Implants At Goehring Dental
Any surgical procedure undertaken can prevent risks. Dental implants are no exception. However, most patients claim that the benefits of dental implant placement are well worth the risk. Under the care of the dental implant professionals at Goehring Dental, patients’ dental implants can provide a lifetime of confidence and security. To schedule a no-obligation dental implants consultation, please contact Goehring Dental today. Now is a great time to get started on a beautiful and functional smile with dental implants.